Friday, March 24, 2017

Balenciaga Lace and Satin Dress

 This beautiful dress was inspired by a 1955 Balenciaga design.


I couldn't find lace like the original dress in doll scale, so I used a dotted lace.
 



I added a matching cummerbund for another look.




 
 
I loved this design so much that I made quite a few different color versions. 
This is one of my favorites.





I was able to use up some satin charmeuse fabrics in my collection.
 
 
 
 
 
I also used several different kinds of lace trim.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

 

 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
I even created a View B


 
 
 

I made two different versions of the skirt.
 
 
To purchase this pattern, click here.

Monday, February 13, 2017

A Pair of Chic Sheaths

When I first started sewing for Gene I would check out fashion history books from the library.  I fell in love with the dress on the cover of this book.

 Photo by Haywood Magee
 
Like many of my outfits, I originally made a doll size version of this black sheath many years ago.  This was my first attempt back in 2004.
 



The dress opened in the front and was made of synthetic crepe.  I made a pink pillbox hat and covered the front of the hat with flowers.

 
 

Years later, I found some more pictures of this sheath on the internet and I decided I would try to make a better version of it.

Photo by Haywood Magee
 
I scoured the internet for more information about this ensemble.  I never found out who the designer was, but the ensemble was modeled by Bronwen Pugh for Paris Fashion Week in 1957. 
 
Photo by Haywood Magee
 
I think my second attempt turned out a lot better than the first one did.
 
 
I lightened the next two photos to show the details better.  Details are often hard to see on a black garment.
 
 
This dress opens in the back which keeps the front from looking too bulky.  The bows are made of silk embroidery ribbon. 
 
 
I'm not sure what the original dress is made out of.  It may be a silk jersey.  Since silk jersey is very expensive and I was too chicken to try to make this dress in that fabric.  I made it out of a black silk georgette, underlined in black lining fabric and lined in white.
 
 
 
Figuring out how to recreate the hat was a real challenge for me.  This hat covered the model's whole head, but most of the Gene dolls don't have hairdos that work well under this kind of hat.
 
 
 
I got the idea of using chiffon flower trim for the hat from another doll designer.
 
 Not My Photo


She has the most adorable doll clothes!
 
It still took me many attempts to figure out how I wanted to make the hat.
 
 
Attempt #1

First I made the hats fit over a bald JAMIEshow head, but I decided that made the hat look more like a weird pink wig instead of a hat.
 
Attempt #2

Then I made a hat that would fit over a JAMIEshow wig cap, but I didn't like the lumpy look in the back.  These hats were very time consuming to make and were sewn while on the doll, which risked messing up her hair and eyelashes.

Attempt #3
 
I finally decided to make a hat that would have the look of the original hat in the front, but leave the hair in the back uncovered.  These hats are a lot easier and faster to make.
 
 
 
It fits IT's "Star Entrance" very well.  It also doesn't mess her hair up while putting it on and taking it off.
 
 




Of course I wasn't satisfied with just making a little black dress.  I decided to also make a little white dress!



I found this picture on The Studio Commissary a few years ago.
 

I have no idea who designed this dress or when it was made, but I thought it had a lot in common with the black dress.


It doesn't have as many gathers as the inspiration dress, but that probably has to do with the small size of the dress.  You know, human scale verses doll scale.

I made this dress out of a soft white silk georgette, and this dress was easier to make than the black dress.

I have a couple of each dress still for sale.

Pattern coming soon!
 
 

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Dior's Envol Ensemble

 
This outfit was inspired by a 1948 Dior ensemble.
 

The first time I saw this outfit was on the cover of a Tom Tierney paper doll book.


(Of course I want to make the other two outfits on the cover.)
 

I first attempted this outfit ten years ago. 
 
 
It is a little different than the new version.
 
 
 
 
I lost count of how many outfits I made this time around, but each outfit has 12 buttons, 21 snaps, 18 beads, and 2 hooks.  That is A LOT of handwork.  I retrospect, I should have charged more for them.
 
Like all my other obsessions, I had to find as many pictures of this outfit as I could.  I tried to replicate a few of them with my "Black Lipstick" Gene.
 



I even made the gaiters.  They are a little bulkier than I wanted them to be, but working with human scaled fabrics in miniature is always a challenge.




Another thing that is hard to miniaturize is the drape of a garment.
 
 






 
 
Here are some more pictures that I found.
 












 My dolls need all of these outfits.
 
 
 
To purchase this pattern, click here.