I am finally getting around to posting about this suit.
When I first started sewing for Gene ten years ago, I found this photo in a fashion history library book. This is a 1951 Balenciaga design. I fell in love with it and decided to make it.
Here is my first attempt back in 2004.
It turned out well, but I felt like the sleeve ruffles lacked the poof that they needed. I only made two back then, one I sold and one I kept for myself.
Earlier this year, I was playing around with some flower pins that I had found in a craft store. I thought they made great looking hats. I remembered how much I love this suit so I decided to remake this suit to sell and then sell the pattern.
I love the texture of the fabric in this suit. When I found some jacquard in several different colors at the fabric store, I knew it was "meant to be".
It is a challenge to find fabric that has small scaled designs on them. I think this fabric works well for this suit.
When I found this hat pin at the craft store, I decided to use the teal jacquard for this suit.
I was able to make 5 suits out of a yard of fabric. I took them to Sandra Stillwell's "Every Days a Holiday" convention and they sold out. I had many request for more so I bought more teal jacquard and ordered more feather "hats". I ended up making 10 more suits. I used stiff tulle in the sleeve ruffles to give them the poof that they needed.
I don't recommend making 10 suits at the same time. I decided that I have selective ADD, because it was hard for me to stick to my project.
Here is my attempt at recreating this pose.
My model is the JAMIEshow J'Adore Gene. I now have 3 JS resin Genes at my house. I love them, they are beautiful, but I am having a hard time photographing them. I use to have a big problem with my dolls photographing too dark. Now I have the opposite problem. Their skin is so light and translucent, that they literally glow. I feel like their faces get overexposed in my photos. I need to work on this, but I would rather be sewing than taking pictures.
The teal suits are sold out, but I am planning on making this suit in plum and black at a later date.
The pattern to make this suit is also available here.