What started out as a commission and two patterns for Gene and the Franklin Mint Marilyn Monroe doll turned into extra suits, a new doll and a third pattern.
After I finished the cream suits to fit Gene, I worked on two suits for the FM Marilyn doll. I had made the pattern to fit her a few years ago and all I did to alter it was lengthen the jacket a little. There was a hiccup though, I was using a different cream wool than I had used the last time, and it didn't have as much stretch to it. I was surprised what a difference that made. The jackets were way too tight. I was really bummed and wasn't sure what I was going to do with them.
I decided to try one of the jackets on a Tyler doll and was pleased how well it fit her. The next thing I knew, I'm on eBay looking at Tonner's Marilyn Monroe dolls. I ended up buying a nude Tonner Marilyn to sew for. Her body is a little curvier than Tyler's but the jacket fit her well too.
FM Marilyn got new jackets and Tonner Marilyn got new skirts. I now have three different sized suits in this style.
My FM Marilyn's original wig ended up in the garbage. I didn't like how puffy it was. I bought a new wig for her and totally jacked it up. Wig 2 ended up in the garbage also.
FM Marilyn is borrowing an Antoinette wig for this photo shoot.
It is the right color and length, but I wish it wasn't so thick and straight.
I will be honest, I don't love this version of Marilyn, but I am glad to have her for a model.
She can't hold a candle to the real Marilyn.
To purchase the pattern for the Franklin Mint Marilyn click here.
To purchase the pattern for the Tonner Marilyn click here.