Sunday, June 28, 2015

Hardy Amies' 1956 Suit


This suit is one of the first designs I fell in love with when I became obsessed with sewing for Gene.


I found this picture in a library book years ago.  I believe this is from John Peacock's  20th Century Fashion:  The Complete Sourcebook.


(Picture By John Peacock)

Hardy Amies was a British designer who designed for Queen Elizabeth.  I searched the internet high and low to find a photograph of this suit, but I have not found one yet.



This was my first attempt back in 2006.



It fits the Tonner dolls much better than Gene.




Last year I redesigned the pattern to fit Gene better.  I made it out of silk noil.  Noil is one of my favorite suit fabrics to work with.  It gives the look of wool without the bulk.
I also made it in navy noil.





While I was working on the red and navy suits, it occurred to me that this is a great basic suit pattern.  I wanted to see what it would look like without the front straps, so I made the pattern up in a green noil without the straps.



I was honestly surprised how much I loved it. 


The color is perfect with "Cocoa Crisp's" green eyes. 


 My original suit on Brenda Starr. 

Just for fun, the hat is a pin from JoAnn Fabrics.




To purchase the pattern, click here.

No comments: